Re: NANFA-L-- Mystery tentatively solved

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:45:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Mysteryman wrote:

> gave the fish a massive dose ( 3X normal ) of Coppersafe, and after
> about 10 days with no further outbreaks the problem seems to be solved,
> although the fish are obviously unhappy about the copper. A few massive
> water changes might help them through it. Normal copper doses weren't
> having any useful effect. I would guess that a strong dose of Clout or
> similar might also work.

Copper dosage depends on the amount of Calcium that you have in your water
as Ca and Cu bind together, so the more Ca you have, the more Cu you need
to be effective. In very soft water you need to be very very careful
treating with Copper. Also, different species have different tolerance to
Cu too.

Cheers
Peter Unmack
Salt River, Arizona