Re: NANFA-L-- Freshwater stings

Moontanman-in-aol.com
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:20:08 EST

--part1_6.4168783e.2f707868_boundary

In a message dated 3/21/05 1:47:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu writes:

> Were you "stung" or did you have a rash? People often get a skin rash
> from the larvae of bird schistosomes (blood flukes). The flukes are
> parasites of birds, related to those that cause the disease
> schistosomiasis in people in the tropics. The bird fluke larvae only
> penetrate into the skin of people, where they die, but the immune
> response creates a rash -- mild in most, more bothersome in some. This
> condidion is commonly called "swimmer's itch." You can read about this
> in any good invertebrate biology text like Hickman.

Actually the stings were enough to make us get out of the water but after we
got out it was more of a rash.

--part1_6.4168783e.2f707868_boundary

In a message dated 3/21/05 1:47:53=20= PM Eastern Standard Time, dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu writes:

Were you "stung" or did you have a rash?  People often get a skin rash=20=
from the larvae of bird schistosomes (blood flukes).  The flukes are parasites of birds, related to those that cause the disease
schistosomiasis in people in the tropics.  The bird fluke larvae only <= BR> penetrate into the skin of people, where they die, but the immune

--part1_6.4168783e.2f707868_boundary-- /----------------------------------------------------------------------- / This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do not necessarily / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more information about NANFA, / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all posts to nanfa-l are / consistent with the guidelines as per / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and archive at / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml