NANFA-L-- mollies, calcium, and no salt mollies

Bob Bock (bockhouse-in-earthlink.net)
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:52:34 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Well, even though he didn't publish it, Trexler told me that mollies he tried keeping in sodium concentrations below 2ppt got a lot of infections.

One thing worth adding--I gave some of my culls to Pierre Gagne. He's been keeping a pair in a 65 gallon tank, with no salt or added calcium--just our local tap water, which has a carbonate hardness of about 40.

They've been doing fine, and haven't showed any of the curvature of the spine, or infections I saw when I kept mollies without salt or calcium. This flies in the face of everything I've ever read or thought I'd learned about mollies.

I know if I'd tried this, those mollies would be long gone. But then again, Pierre's such a talented fish keeper, he'd even be successful keeping fish in a dry tank.

-----Original Message-----
From: James Smith <jbosmith-in-gmail.com>
Sent: Mar 25, 2005 3:08 PM
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- mollies and calcium

I have a ton of calcium in my molly tank.. it's also an apple snail
grow out tank, and I put about a cup a week of crushed shells in it. I
don't know what the hardness is, my test kit is a mid range and only
goes up to a few hundred ppm, but it's pretty hard. It's buffered
above 8ph while my tapwater is somewhere just above 7. Without sodium,
the mollies still have health issues.

I don't think that the issue there is what is comfortable for the
mollies, I think it is more the preventative properties of the salt.
Things like camelanus just can't survive in salty water.

Jim