RE: NANFA-L-- Merry misadventures

Michael Wolfe (mwolfe-in-mindspring.com)
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:01:19 -0500

> From: Mysteryman <bestfish-in-alaweb.com>
> Date: 3/31/2005 11:43:42 AM
> Subject: NANFA-L-- Merry misadventures
>

> and 2 other shiners I can't yet identify. One looks like a Bluestripe
> Shiner, Cyprinella callitaenia, in that it has the blue/green stripe
> with the gold stripe above it, but it is a very deep-bodied fish, and
> this site is 40 miles from where the nearest Bluestripes are supposed to
> be. Any ideas?

I still vote for Bluestripe... my Fishes of Alabama Mettee shows them only
on the GA/AL border, but Fishes of Alabama Mayden shows-in-least one dot
that extends up stream and therefore farther west into the state... and
remember the fish don't always remember to read the books.

Michael Wolfe
North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage
...but used to live in Montgomery