Re: NANFA-L-- online list of natives

Patrick Rose (pncwd-in-picusnet.com)
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 20:49:48 -0500

I have a book with the same name but by a diferent author, it may be the
same book though. Except mine was $20. The only problem that I have with it
is that very few of the pictures are colored, the book however gives great
details. It also does not list all the fish found in the states that are
listed. The book I have is by Fred C. Rohde and a couple others.

The online reference that was given seems to be what I was looking for
except that when I choose NC is includes ND as well. That makes it a little
more difficult to find just NC related fish. After a little browsing and
selecting I was able to get down to what I was looking for. Here is the list

Notropis mekistocholas / Cape Fear Shiner
Fundulus cf. diaphanus / Banded Killifish - Lake Phelps Population
Etheostoma perlongum / Waccamaw Darter
Elassoma boehlkei / Carolina Pygmy Sunfish

Although I was able to find one of the Waccamaw species, I was unable to
find the others, I think that there is 3 of them that are only found in
Waccamaw Lake. The same with Lake Phelps there is 2 that are located there
and I was only able to find one.

Anyone know anything about the fish I am refering to please email me or post
back here on them. I am interested in getting some of them. I know that one
of the Waccamaw fish life span is only a year long and I would like to get a
tank set up to get them breeding and to see what the aquarium life span is
if it is any longer or not.

I think there is a member here that lives down that way, (in fact I think I
owe you a daphina and rotifer cultures-in-some point) but could you add some
input on these fish, if you know much about them.

Also I know that the ones in Lake Phelps are on the titer toter list (thats
what I call it), but I dont know about the Waccamaw ones.