RE: NANFA-L-- "Reefle" (tm) photos and movies

Crail, Todd (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Wed, 4 May 2005 22:39:32 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C5511B.AB2DFAB2

Thanks guys :)
=20
I wanted to add another trophic level to the system, and perhaps a whole =
other hub on the food web, but wanted to do it with something that only =
"could be" a fish predator, but not so much "would be" a fish predator. =

=20
Actually, it was far more juvenile and brainless than that initially... =
I wanted to see if grass pickerel were gape limited on squishy things, =
since tadpoles so frequently occur in their habitat. Pickerel are, so =
now I have a frog. ;) It just so happens that it's worked out so far =
that the frog hangs out and basks under the light, which people think is =
cute, and makes a decent living off a mysis and krill diet. =20
=20
Speaking of other critters I've found can be kept along with the fish... =
(well, in my heavy feeding schema anyway)
=20
I'm excited now that it's May and the White River crayfish (Procambarus =
acutus) will emerge in the ditches and we can see how they handle this =
much territory. They smaller ones seem to be fairly gregarious for =
crayfish, having kept 3 in a 30 gallon for about a year without them =
killing each other (which finally they fought and killed each other), =
and never bothered the fish druing their tenure. I'm interested to see =
how they do in such a big tank, if I threw a six pack in. =20
=20
This is also the nice thing having a bunch of 10 gallon tanks laying =
around, ready for anything, since they have sandbeds and plants, and =
only require an airstone, and that's all that's necessary. If some =
experiment with a new community member goes awry, I can still maintain =
the critter. Obviously isn't going to hold a Nile perch... But MR. =
Nasty, for example, the macrochirus x cyanellus hybrid seems just dandy =
with his new house for now. He's a real pussy cat on nightcrawlers and =
krill. I'm going to try and move a large digger crayfish (Fallicambarus =
fodiens) in with him, and a smaller sized Teays River crayfish (Cambarus =
sciotensis) in with the northern longear I'm going to quarantine and =
keep from the whirling tank. Makes it all a little more fun :)
=20
I'm also convinced that Corbicula can be successfully kept soley in =
deposit feeding scenarios, and make a great addition to an over =
productive system (they seem to filter too). I've got a dozen or so =
that were thrown in-in-the inception of the tank a year ago and they've =
got nice glossy edges on their valves (which I don't know if that's good =
or bad because they're not taking a rest period) and relict valves have =
yet to turn up when I get in there and dig around for them. I've also =
got some that have been going for a year and a half in an unmaintained =
10 gallon. Little suckers really crawl around too. Might even be some =
experiments in there down the road. Or even a permit request to keep =
some cylindrical papershells and move into the National Unionid League =
;)
=20
Todd
The Madness (tm)