Re: RE: NANFA-L-- The myth of restoration?

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Fri, 06 May 2005 10:45:22 -0500

Todd is right in that education about nature is the key to getting
people concerned for what we are doing to nature. As an educator, I've
been working (so far in my mind, mainly) with what I am doing wrong
such that the lessons that I want people to take from me are not
catching. One key I've noticed, and some others said this first: If
it's not on television, it doesn't exist, so far as most of the public
is concerned.

I know we have some naysayers who post on this list some. I don't know
whether those persons are NANFA members or are people who are
registered to post. But despite those naysayers, this is about fish.
Fish constitute a resource that is both essential in its own right, and
is symptomatic of the larger harm that we do.

Even people who are concerned often fail because of inadequate
education about the problems. My community, Edmond, Oklahoma has a
storm water control ordinance, that requires retention and water
quality standards to meet EPA requirements. Wal-Mart has gotten
control of a large parcel of land adjacent to a small reservoir that is
owned by a neighborhood association. WalMart plans to build
a "Supercenter" with all the parking and oil change facility and garden
center that is a part of that. Lots of objection to the place going
in, and despite that a substantial tract of Cross-Timbers woodland (a
particular type of oak-hickory forest characteristic of S. Central tall-
grass prairie region in Texas and Oklahoma) would be decimated, the
city approved the facility. Wal-Mart snowed the city concerning its
planned storm-water retention facility without a single piece of data
from an outside, independent organization as to whether it works or
not. Basically, its a big underground tank that has baffles in it. It
fills up, and then overflows into the creek once its full. That's it.
The city accepted the manufacturer's and WalMart's assurances regarding
its efficacy.

Again, I know there are naysayers. However, does the membership of
NANFA value native fishes? I am willing to take action, in the public
arena, to educate concerning the problems. First, with Todd's
approach -- but we have to get people hooked. It may take money. I'll
put up some (I'm not rich, I work for a living). But let's get busy on
the public.

Putting up a national fish nomination will be one step. I'll ask the
membership -- if we nominate a national fish, may I as a leader on the
national fish issue, use that nomination as a forum on environmental
quality for fish?

Dave McNeely

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"