Re: NANFA-L-- Floodplain Restoration

James Smith (jbosmith-in-gmail.com)
Tue, 10 May 2005 20:08:33 -0400

Vermont. This part of the restoration which I will be helping with is
along rt 100 between Rutland and Danville along the White River. I
think it's the headwaters, but have never been to that area before, so
I don't know for sure. Looks like it on topo maps though. I don't know
all the details yet, I just know I get to kill knotweed which has been
the bane of my existance since childhood ;-)

I don't know if they will be using herbicides on the knotweed, I just
know it's nearly impossible to get rid of without them. Basically you
have to cut the plants down every 2-3 weeks for 5-10 years. The roots
take that long to starve. They're also heat tollerant and extensive
(ranging up to 30 feet), so ground covers don't work and even fire
doesn't accomplish much more than cutting it down. I do know that we
are going to cut it down and pile it up and the fire department is
going to burn it on site to keep the tops from rerooting.

Jim