Re: NANFA-L-- Carp News (was: Fish crash)

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Tue, 24 May 2005 10:35:33 -0500

Moon, carp is probably less likely to hold high levels of heavy metals,
persistent pesticides, and industrial chemicals than are sports fishes
like largemouth bass. These materials "biomagnify," meaning that each
step up the food chain concentrates the material more, because of
trophic principles and storage of the materials in a body depot like
fat. Sharks are particularly problematic because they live so long as
well as being top predators. A large fish of any species generally
holds a higher concentration of the pollutant than does a smaller one.
Fatty top predators like mackeral are among the worst offenders.
Salmon, especially farm raised ones that eat more fish than wild ones,
also have fairly high levels because they are fatty, though not so high
as top predators. I haven't seen any data for flathead catfish, but
what about the big ones commonly caught by trot liners. They are top
predators, and very fatty.

Mercury is a particular problem, because it has become generally
distributed worldwide due to coal burning power plants. Most states
have alerts out for largemouth, smallmouth and spotted bass because the
body burden of mercury is so high, regardless of the quality of water
from which the fish was taken. For example, in Oklahoma, the alert
suggests that the maximum consumption of bass for a healthy adult
should be two 4 oz meals per month. For children and women of
childbearing age, the recommended limit is no consumption of bass.
That applies to Ozark streams with no industry in the watershed, the
same as to the Canadian and Deep Fork Rivers in Oklahoma City.

The Clean Air Act has a provision to require coal burning power plants
to reduce their mercury emissions. The Bush Administration is trying
to implement what it calls the Clear Skies Initiative, which would keep
such reductions smaller (because the power generators and coal industry
have lobbied for that). Since the provisions of the Clear Skies
Initiative would ultimately result in less mercury emission than occurs
now (though considerably more than under the provisions of the Clean
Air Act), the administration is proclaiming that it will improve air
quality, and that crazy environmentalists are opposing it.

Have a child, grandchild, or the potential for either? Want to teach
them about responsible harvest and use of natural resources (ie - take
your kid fishing and eat the catch)? Bush administration says, "Whoa,
mercury pollution is too important to electric utilities for us to keep
the Clean Air Act in force to protect that resource."

Squids are excellent food, the species that occur inshore mostly live 1-
3 years, and they are not top predators. Fresh ones like you get are
scrumptious in a good bouillabaise, or just stir fried with some
vegetables.

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"