Re: NANFA-L-- Jedi Fishin'

Dean A. Markley (damarkley-in-earthlink.net)
Tue, 24 May 2005 14:02:34 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Dave, I don't disagree with you but-in-the time, we weren't thinking poaching. We were looking for a humongous bang which we did indeed get. Unfortunately, the fish just happened to be there. And yes, dry ice in water will kill fish quickly. It is CO2 of course and in water forms carbonic acid which drops the pH steeply (just the opposite of sodium). Of course most fish can't tolerate pH extremes in either direction.

Dean

-----Original Message-----
From: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Sent: May 24, 2005 11:38 AM
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Jedi Fishin'

Well, such poaching is properly illegal (to say nothing of dangerous
for the perpertrator). I've also heard, but never knew anyone who did
it, of using dry ice in a bottle the same way. Don't really know if it
would generate enough pressure to do what the claimants said.

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"