Re: NANFA-L-- first snorkel of 2006

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Fri, 05 May 2006 10:09:03 -0400

It's been raining around the Tennessee Valley for a week now, so streams are
kinda silty. But I got out last Monday with two students and we went to
Limestone Creek just south of the TN/AL border. We found the first
colored-up male scarlet shiner of the season, appropriately enough on May
Day. I have a picture of him just after death-in-alabamafish.blogspot.com
along with a striped shiner, which Casper correctly describes as being
pearlescent. Limestone Creek is the type locality for scarlet shiners, so
this is the real thing, capice?

--Bruce Stallsmith
we're enjoying the monsoon along the Tennessee
Huntsville, AL, US of A