Re: NANFA-L-- conservation and fish farming

Derek Parr (derekparr-in-earthlink.net)
Sun, 07 May 2006 22:04:19 -0400

You're not going to find any other perspectives on this list. ;]

Since fish farming involves larger ponds that generally require draining
it is often very difficult to prevent accidental releases in the event
of flooding or a bit too much rain or a number of other mistakes.
Perhaps using a similar native fish would be wiser. Although much care
should be made there as well.

-derek parr

Bruce Lilyea wrote:

> Sustainable development and poverty reduction have long been areas of reading
> and personal research for me. A purported facet of poverty reduction is
> teaching people how to provide food for themselves and their community. One
> of the approaches that has had some success is aquaponics which generates
> growth in fish and vegetables more rapidly than traditional means. One of the
> benefits to using Tilapia in this farming approach is their hardiness.
> Unfortunately that same hardiness is the reason that so many conservationists
> are concerned about this species and consider them invasive and undesirable.
> Both of these views have high levels of merit. I am interested in hearing
> some other perspectives on this apparent dilemma.
>
> Bruce Lilyea
> Lakeland, FL
> / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get
> / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml

    derek parr                          http://www.derekparr.com
    101-B eastwood lake road                artist-in-derekparr.com
    chapel hill, NC  27514                          919.444.9003