Re: NANFA-L-- conservation and fish farming

J. C. (hillbillynursery-in-yahoo.com)
Sun, 7 May 2006 21:02:08 -0700 (PDT)

I have been looking into aquaculture and hydroponic
systems. There are alot of reasons that native fishes
do not work well. One that was mentioned was stocking
densities. Few fish can be stocked heavy enough to
produce a good supply of nutrients for the plants.
Some carps work in high densities but the meat is not
as marketable. It takes a quick growing high density
to make a profit. Like most farming the profit margin
is small. Another problem with many species is the
diet they require. These are fish that require
meats/fish in their diet. The rules about using such
feeds for animals for human comsumption has gotten
very strict. So tilapia, australian crawfish, catfish,
and carp are the only things you hear about on the
email list. Tilapia would have a hard time living here
in TN so not much of a problem with invasion. Indoor
culture of these fish should not be over regulated.
But I agree pond culture of these invasive type
species should be limited to native fish. Tanks in a
greenhouse are unlikely to ever get to the rivers.

Later, John

--- Derek Parr <derekparr-in-earthlink.net> wrote:

> You're not going to find any other perspectives on
> this list. ;]
>
> Since fish farming involves larger ponds that
> generally require draining
> it is often very difficult to prevent accidental
> releases in the event
> of flooding or a bit too much rain or a number of
> other mistakes.
> Perhaps using a similar native fish would be wiser.
> Although much care
> should be made there as well.
>
> -derek parr
>

> Bruce Lilyea wrote:
>
> > Sustainable development and poverty reduction have
> long been areas of reading
> > and personal research for me. A purported facet
> of poverty reduction is
> > teaching people how to provide food for themselves
> and their community. One
> > of the approaches that has had some success is
> aquaponics which generates
> > growth in fish and vegetables more rapidly than
> traditional means. One of the
> > benefits to using Tilapia in this farming approach
> is their hardiness.
> > Unfortunately that same hardiness is the reason
> that so many conservationists
> > are concerned about this species and consider them
> invasive and undesirable.
> > Both of these views have high levels of merit. I
> am interested in hearing
> > some other perspectives on this apparent dilemma.
> >
> > Bruce Lilyea
> > Lakeland, FL

> > / This is the discussion list of the North
> American Native Fishes
> > / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list
> do not necessarily
> > / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more
> information about NANFA,
> > / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all
> posts to nanfa-l are
> > / consistent with the guidelines as per
> > / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To
> subscribe, unsubscribe, or get
> > / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and
> archive at
> > / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml
> >

> --

> derek parr
> http://www.derekparr.com
> 101-B eastwood lake road
> artist-in-derekparr.com
> chapel hill, NC 27514
> 919.444.9003

> / This is the discussion list of the North American
> Native Fishes
> / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do
> not necessarily
> / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more
> information about NANFA,
> / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all
> posts to nanfa-l are
> / consistent with the guidelines as per
> / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To
> subscribe, unsubscribe, or get
> / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and
> archive at
> / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml

John Cox of Cumberland Killifish
Honey Robber beekeeping and removal services

Please join A Fishy World my new email group all
about fish-in-AFishyWorld-subscribe-in-yahoogroups.com
http://mail.yahoo.com