Re: NANFA-L-- Re: Chinese Sturgeon on AquaBid

J. C. (hillbillynursery-in-yahoo.com)
Thu, 11 May 2006 17:48:49 -0700 (PDT)

I think he was refering to a simular problem in
another type animal(I know they do this with fruit
flies). Some animals they sceintist have found a way
of making a animal so that they can breed but all the
offspring are infertile. I think it was done with
fruit flies. So dumping a few of these into a system
would reduce but not stop the production. I think it
has only been done with different type bugs though.

Another way is a genetic problem that can be given to
lab fish sort of like what was talked about on jurasic
park movie. You make a GMO which can not make
necessary protiens/emzymes and then make sure you feed
the GMO food laced with this substance. When released
these breed with the population giving the population
a disease which is recessive in nature. You can wipe
out one forth of the population each gestation cycle.
You never totally get rid of the problem though. I
know they were looking into this type program to help
with cane toads in Australia-in-one time. But with
larger animals like frogs you can put tracers on them
and keep them fed/injected to keep them alive long
enough to do alot of damage. But with small fish they
would only last a week or so after you stop feeding
them. But I am sure the mosquito fish would be able to
be mass produced in the captive inviroment enough to
make a dent in the population of them. But with all
recessive traits it shows up in one of four of the F2s
but two of the four F2s would be carriers and one fish
out of the four would be double dominate for the good
gene which is why it can help drastically but not stop
the problem.

Later, John

--- EELReprah-in-aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/11/06 5:58:33 PM,
> nanfa-in-bakerweb.biz writes:
>
> << Would it work to release thousands of sterile
> gambusia into a system on
>
> order to halt the reproduction? >>
>
> How would that reduce the fertility of those already
> there?
>
> Lee Harper
> Media, PA

> / This is the discussion list of the North American
> Native Fishes
> / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do
> not necessarily
> / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more
> information about NANFA,
> / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all
> posts to nanfa-l are
> / consistent with the guidelines as per
> / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To
> subscribe, unsubscribe, or get
> / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and
> archive at
> / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml

John Cox of Cumberland Killifish
Honey Robber beekeeping and removal services

Please join A Fishy World my new email group all
about fish-in-AFishyWorld-subscribe-in-yahoogroups.com
http://mail.yahoo.com