Re: NANFA-L-- Re: Chinese Sturgeon on AquaBid

J. C. (hillbillynursery-in-yahoo.com)
Sat, 13 May 2006 10:24:18 -0700 (PDT)

But with the tilapia(I have been looking into
aquaculture for a few years), they used a process of
GMO males being XYY instead of the normal XX or XY.
When these male reds are bred to a female blue type
the fish are XXY or XY. But they failed to take into
account fish are not always subject to this law as
other things determine sex such as pH, tempature,
ect.. They found a way to reduce the number of fertile
female by keeping the proper water chemistry and
tempatures. The main reason for doing this is an all
male batch of fish grow larger faster without the
females distracting them for breeding. Females, being
mouth brooders, stop eating for spawning and grow much
slower in mixed populations. One site I read from
South Africa told how to seperate the sexes for
growing them seperately for better returns. This
special red is available. And actually it is hard to
get tilapia that has both sexes any more through the
aquaculture sources. The number of fertile females
from this process is only about 1/100. And the
offspring of these females is still nearly all male. I
doubt if these got loose in a tropical water way
without normal tilapia that they could not keep
reproducing and would die out in a few years.

But it is hard to make those special males. Unlike
where you breed a strain in captivity that can not
make certain enzymes. These once made you can breed
normally in captivity as long as you feed them with a
diet rich in the enzyme they are missing. Those
special male tilapia they make sell for $500 each. So
that option is out for a wide spread distribution.

Later, John

--- anutej-in-loxinfo.co.th wrote:

> At least one big company had tried making its own
> sterile big red
> strain of tilapia to use for their business [sortha
> like making the
> strain avaliable from their company only]. As said
> in Jurassic Park
> "Life will find a way" some fish won't become
> sterile and in a few
> years the company has to give up its monopoly.
>
> Tony
>

> "J. C." wrote:
> >
> > I think he was refering to a simular problem in
> > another type animal(I know they do this with fruit
> > flies). Some animals they sceintist have found a
> way
> > of making a animal so that they can breed but all
> the
> > offspring are infertile. I think it was done with
> > fruit flies. So dumping a few of these into a
> system
> > would reduce but not stop the production. I think
> it
> > has only been done with different type bugs
> though.
> >
> > Another way is a genetic problem that can be
> given to
> > lab fish sort of like what was talked about on
> jurasic
> > park movie. You make a GMO which can not make
> > necessary protiens/emzymes and then make sure you
> feed
> > the GMO food laced with this substance. When
> released
> > these breed with the population giving the
> population
> > a disease which is recessive in nature. You can
> wipe
> > out one forth of the population each gestation
> cycle.
> > You never totally get rid of the problem though. I
> > know they were looking into this type program to
> help
> > with cane toads in Australia-in-one time. But with
> > larger animals like frogs you can put tracers on
> them
> > and keep them fed/injected to keep them alive long
> > enough to do alot of damage. But with small fish
> they
> > would only last a week or so after you stop
> feeding
> > them. But I am sure the mosquito fish would be
> able to
> > be mass produced in the captive inviroment enough
> > make a dent in the population of them. But with
> all
> > recessive traits it shows up in one of four of the
> F2s
> > but two of the four F2s would be carriers and one
> fish
> > out of the four would be double dominate for the
> good
> > gene which is why it can help drastically but not
> stop
> > the problem.
> >
> > Later, John
> >
> > --- EELReprah-in-aol.com wrote:
> >
> > > In a message dated 5/11/06 5:58:33 PM,
> > > nanfa-in-bakerweb.biz writes:

> [...]

about fish-in-AFishyWorld-subscribe-in-yahoogroups.com
http://mail.yahoo.com