Re: NANFA-L-- Raising feeder fish -- what species?

J. C. (hillbillynursery-in-yahoo.com)
Wed, 17 May 2006 08:08:43 -0700 (PDT)

Feeder guppies from a pet shop are very easy and
care free. If you know the petshop personel real good
they may allow you to pick your fish if so get all
females but one(upto 1 male per 20 females). Feed them
flake food with plenty of thick grass type hiding
spots for the fry and you will have feeders in 4-8
weeks.

I have no experience with the natives as of yet. But
I know the guppies work great. But if you wanted a
tank that was pretty as well as being used for feeders
platies work but are a bit slower growing or just get
fancy guppies. It cost more to get going but makes a
much better looking feeder fish tank.

Later, John

--- Jase Roberts <nanfa_list-in-jaseroberts.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone offer recommendations on what
> fish/minnows are good choices to raise as feeder
> fish? I'd like to offer live fish occasionally, but
> don't want to run the risk of disease from
> store-bought or wild-collected fish. I'm also
> finding that raising my own live food is probably my
> favorite part of this hobby. I really get a feeling
> of satisfaction from feeding my fish something I
> raised myself.
>
> Anyway, what are good choices for fish that are
> easy, prolific, relatively fast-growing, and able to
> be bred year-round without complex temperature/light
> cycling? Large fry would certainly be a bonus, to
> simplify the initial feeding stages (skip infusoria
> and such). Fathead minnows sound interesting, but
> will they continue to spawn if maintained-in-a
> constant temperature? How about gambusia or
> guppies? I'd prefer a native, but those livebearers
> sound pretty easy. What else should I consider?
>
> Any advice will be welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Jase
> Montpelier, VT

> / This is the discussion list of the North American
> Native Fishes
> / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do
> not necessarily
> / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more
> information about NANFA,
> / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all
> posts to nanfa-l are
> / consistent with the guidelines as per
> / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To
> subscribe, unsubscribe, or get
> / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and
> archive at
> / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml

John Cox of Cumberland Killifish
Honey Robber beekeeping and removal services

Please join A Fishy World my new email group all
about fish-in-AFishyWorld-subscribe-in-yahoogroups.com
http://mail.yahoo.com