Re: NANFA-L-- Frozen fish embryos?

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Thu, 25 May 2006 08:44:16 -0500

Michael Hissom wrote:

>The cites laws or what ever they are often do
> more to
> cause the extinction of animals than they do to help. making it
> totally forbidden
> to export or import a protected animals even when the importation
> very well
> could be that animals only hope for survival is somewhat less
> than an
> intelligent way to manage animals.

Michael, CITES does not make it totally forbidden to bring a listed
species into the country. What it does is make is very difficult,
requiring demonstrable expertise, cooperation of officials in the
source country and here, a protocol that demonstrably has a realistic
chance of helping the recovery of the target species. This generally
boils down to practicing professionals. Though I can't think of an
example, I imagine that dedicated amateurs with deep pockets and a
record of conservation contributions and success might be able to do
something. Giant pandas have been brought to the U.S., but not just
by some guy who has kept a bear or a tiger-in-home, and believes he
can get another carnivore to reproduce.

Dave Mc

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"