RE: NANFA-L--Snakehead News Story

Subject: RE: NANFA-L--Snakehead News Story
From: Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus at hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 14:34:43 CDT

Another triumph for importing exotic species. Another version of this is
happening along the southern Atlantic coast, with the continuous release of
Indo-Pacific marine ornamental fishes. It's less clear that they're
reproducing but I'd be in shock if they're not. Now you can collect your own
lionfish, yellow tangs, etc.

--Bruce Stallsmith
still no snakeheads in the Tennessee
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: "Hoover, Jan J ERDC-EL-MS" <Jan.J.Hoover at erdc.usace.army.mil>
>To: "'nanfa-l at nanfa.org'" <nanfa-l at nanfa.org>
>Subject: NANFA-L--Snakehead News Story Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 14:25:19 -0500
>
>From the Washington Post:
>
> Baby Snakehead Is No Bundle of Joy : Scientists Say Fish Is Breeding in
>the Potomac and Can't Be Wiped Out
>
>By David A. Fahrenthold and Joshua Partlow
>
>Washington Post Staff Writers
>
>Tuesday, October 5, 2004; Page B01
>
>The latest northern snakehead fish found in the Potomac River may be the
>
>most significant yet: It's a baby, three inches long and proof that the
>
>Asian predator is breeding in native waters, scientists say.
>
>With the discovery last week in Alexandria, biologists now confront a
>
>scenario that was considered a kind of ecological nightmare. The snakehead,
>
>they said, will be nearly impossible to eradicate and could drive out other
>
>Potomac wildlife, even threatening the river's plentiful bass population.
>
>An Alexandria resident discovered this three-inch baby snakehead in a
>
>clump of hydrilla in Dogue Creek. Officials confirmed the finding, proof
>
>that the Asian predator is breeding in local waters. (Va. Department of
>
>Game and Inland Fisheries)

/ archive at http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.

: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 11:27:38 CST