Re: NANFA-L-- Upcoming outing

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Upcoming outing
From: Crail, Todd (farmertodd at buckeye-express.com)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 13:39:55 CDT

Klaus, Man... I hope you get to feeling better! I'm sorry it didn't work
out this time... But this certainly won't be the last time :)

Matt, no problem. It seems there was a bumper crop of variegates in 2003.
They're eveywhere at least in the Darby (at Fox or even all the way up at
Battelle Darby we were still finding them frequently). I'm sure Paint Creek
is the same story, the conditions couldn't have been much different, but
I'll be sure to grab you a couple. They're small, but man I can't believe
how fast they've colored up and are growing at home. Seems that anywhere
you have loose rubble in the glide portion of a riffle, and the water is
between 6 and 12 inches deep... We find at least the juvies. Some samples
would have twenty or twenty five... About 40 or 50 bandeds. Similar
habitat, different mouth position :)

The partioning on Fox Riffle is just NUTSO, as is the biomass within the
partition. If anything, this will be why you would want to see the Darby.
I'm hoping we see a very similar community on Paint Creek though. The Darby
downstream from Trautman's riffle has degraded just since I first visited it
a little over a year ago. The agriculture was tough on it... The sprawl of
Columbus will kill it unless they start metering storm water better.

Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH