Re: NANFA-L-- Review of Suckers in North America

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Review of Suckers in North America
From: Crail, Todd (farmertodd at buckeye-express.com)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 16:22:44 CDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <dlmcneely at lunet.edu>
> The data do not bear out that this intuitively promising idea works. The
fry just end up dead, making little impact on the overall population.

I think that is going to depend on wether the species has an iteroparous or
semelparous reproduction strategy, wether the introduction was _well_ below
the carrying capacity (what I was describing earlier), and that would be a
_very_ interesting question to answer! I wonder if anyone has...? I'd look
it up, but I am swamped :)

It certainly is a bunch of of factors to monitor. Some of my good friends
here are studying the genetics of invasive exotics in the Great Lakes... It
will be interesting to see what emerges from their studies concerning how an
"invasion" genetically works.

Oh and Jim... I forgot that the sniper would be a co-competitor, most likely
trying to increase his resources. Thanks for adding that dimension lol :)

Todd

/ archive at http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.

: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 11:27:44 CST