Re: NANFA-L-- Chicken Estrogen? or? ... Mummy's my Father

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Chicken Estrogen? or? ... Mummy's my Father
dlmcneely at lunet.edu
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 15:48:45 CDT

Of course, these are not the first reports of sex perturbations in wild populations due to pollutants. Mosquitofish, alligators, snapping turtles, are some of the animals previously reported to be affected. Declining sperm counts in men over the course of the 20th century may be due to estrogen mimics, including DDT and phthalate plasticizers. We have a large increase in recent years to "ideopathic" gynocomastia in men. Many cases of gynocomastia are attributable to use of steroids for athletic training, and others to age, but when the case is called ideopathic, that simply means that the examining physician cannot explain it based on any known etiology.

I'm sort of wandering now, but the abnormal sex development in wild animals is documented. I'll try to look it up when I get a chance.

Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely at lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"