NANFA-L-- OT: New, cuddly shark discovered

Subject: NANFA-L-- OT: New, cuddly shark discovered
From: Hoover, Jan J ERDC-EL-MS (Jan.J.Hoover at erdc.usace.army.mil)
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 18:02:08 CDT

Cryptozoology buffs - be advised.

An undescribed type of shark appears to have been discovered in a public
aquarium in Austria.
You can read about it here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/08/29/wshark29.xml
&sSheet=/news/2004/08/29/ixworld.html

More information, for those who read German, is available here

http://www.getregio.de/printmore.jsp?easynewsid=21900&pagename=startseite&se
tlink=n

and here

http://www.planet.nl/planet/show/id=67777/contentid=501126/sc=d9b732

These last two links include photographs of the shark now being called
"Cuddles.".

The shark is described as having sensory bristles (and lacking "sensory
organs at the front of the head," which I assume are ampullae of Lorenzini).
It also reported to have an extra set of gills, a surface growth of algae,
and muscular pectoral fins which it uses to move about on the bottom. The
shark is described as red, shaggy, and frog-like, but these characteristics
do not show well in the two photographs I have seen.

/ archive at http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.

: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 11:27:13 CST