RE: NANFA-L-- scratching

Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- scratching
From: Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus at hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 12:16:03 CDT

I think I cured a 12-gal. tank of juvenile Fundulus bifax of ich by adding
marine salts to the level of about 1 tsp/gallon over a three day period.
Only 2 of about 18 of the fish died, and the survivors now show no ich and
have started a collective growth spurt. Hopefully this would also work for
the chrysotus, at least. And bettas in my experience can stand salt anyway.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Not in the bifax's Tallapoosa, but in the Tennessee drainage
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: "Bob Bock" <bockhouse at earthlink.net>
>To: "NANFA list" <nanfa-l at nanfa.org>, "PVAS" <PVAS at yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: NANFA-L-- scratching
>Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:26:21 -0400
>
>Hi all. The baby bettas and fundulus chrysotus in my 65 gallon high have
>been scratching for months, and I'm not sure how to treat it. I'd hate to
>break the tank down and sterilize it, as some crypts are doing really well
>in the foreground. I've tried paragon, sodium chloride, and potassium
>permanganate, but these don't seem to help. I haven't seen any white spots
>on the fish, but the bluespotted sunfish and the small ancistrus don't seem
>to be affected.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks
>
>Bob