Re: NANFA-L-- America's national fish

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- America's national fish
From: Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus at hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 07:21:28 CDT

A long-term contender for national fish would be the shad, native from
Florida to Nova Scotia and introduced in the Pacific Northwest. It was an
historically important food fish, may have saved the Continental Army at
Valley Forge in the spring of 1777, is anadromous, and many river runs are
threatened by pollution and river degradation. They're also a fun game fish.

--Bruce Stallsmith
the shad-free Tennessee River
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: James Smith <jim at fishiezoo.com>
>To: nanfa-l at nanfa.org
>Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- America's national fish
>Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:00:44 -0400
>
>Tom read my mind :-)
>
>I also think it should be something that is native to only the US, and it
>should be colorful to please the general masses. How about some sort of
>endangered native darter? Our (tessellated) darters are kinda drab, and not
>endangered so I don't know more than that, but I have been impressed over
>the last several months by many of the pictures I have seen here.
>
>Jim

/ archive at http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.

: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 11:27:14 CST