Re: NANFA-L-- America's national fish

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- America's national fish
From: Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus at hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 19:15:22 CDT

You're probably on to something with that, Dave. But even 7 BOD members will
probably have very different ideas; and then there's everyone else! I'd hold
out for the shad or rainbow darter, what do I know...

--Bruce Stallsmith
there are rainbow darters along this stretch of the Tennessee
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: dlmcneely at lunet.edu
>To: nanfa-l at nanfa.org
>Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- America's national fish
>Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 15:32:01 -0500
>
>So, can we rely on the BOD to take this on as a project, and bring a report
>to the membership for approval, or whatever our bylaws require for the BOD
>to take an action on behalf of the organization? If we contact 5 or 6
>conservation minded (or vote minded) members of each house of congress,
>present them with a resolution, and ask them to put it through, it is very
>likely to happen. They do these kinds of things all the time. I recall
>them passing bills that praise a citizen for some good samaritan act, or
>that draw attention to the importance of milk in the diet of children, and
>declare a national milk day. We can get a national fish, and it will be
>the fish we choose. And I know that when the BOD or the membership chooses
>a fish to back (or fishes, as I propose for the sake of stakes), all
>members will cheerfully support it.
>
>Bruce, can the BOD do it for us?
>
>Dave
>
>David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology

/ archive at http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.

: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 11:27:16 CST