Re: NANFA-L-- America's national fish

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- America's national fish
From: matt ashton (ashtonmj2003 at yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 07:39:17 CDT

I will definately go with Pumpkinseed. I totally agree with the notion that it is an all inclusive, best bang for your buck NA fish. You can hook em you can net em, and either way you are introduced to one of the more colorful game oriented fish we have to offer.

"R. W. Wolff" <choupiqu at wctc.net> wrote:> > My vote is for the Pumpkinseed sunfish. The "sunnie" that introduced
most of
> > us first to native fishes.

> The pumpkinseed is colorful
> (would look good on postage stamp), endemic to US, native or introduced to
> every state and therefore potentially familiar to the largest number of
> people, and a fish that's both fun to angle for and keep in the aquarium.

I could go with that, even though I like the ancient monsters. Not only are
pumpkinseeds all over thanks to introductions in the U.S., they are widely
stocked around the world. I found a cool web site about them in a lake in
Italy. The guy was excited about catching them and bringing them home. It
sounded much the same as an American planning a trip to a lake that had some
oscars in it, or the like. I just thought that was interesting. A fish I
take for granted, and this guy is driving across country to get some for his
tank.

Ray

/ archive at http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.