Re: NANFA-L-- Diversity Indicies

Todd D. Crail (tcrail at UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:44:24 -0400

Okay brain brake...

The system I'm working with is a comparison of habitat in ditches and
channelized streams. Over time, the channel is encroached on by plants,
which lay down sediments, which sucks up channel volume and makes people
think the ditches aren't "working" as a ditch should. As this encroachment
develops, I've noticed the channel takes on aquatic ecosystem
characteristics, rather than a culvert that's just lined with hard clay.

However, the standing agricultural logic is that the device is no longer
"working" and the ecosystem component goes away as soon as the ditch is
"cleaned". It comes back over time, as similar processes commence the
minute the backhoe is out of the channel, but the disturbance sends
literally tons of sediment downstream, and removes any potential
filtering/buffering capacity the encroached land and plants may have.

I am looking to the fish community as a response variable to encroachment
within the channel, or what I'm really after, how well the manufactured
system is behaving like a less disturbed system.

We've figured out a simple way to quantify the habitat as either
heterogeneous or homogenous. Now we're trying to determine if a significant
relationship in this habitat corresponds to the various types of habitat.
As Dave mentioned, biotic "diversity" is strongly correlated with habitat
diversity (heterogenity) is a topic agreed on by most ecologists. It's just
been troublesome to find a statistical metric to explain something as simple
as:

Habitat Type 1: 6/152, 9/144, 7/102 (species/individuals)
Habitat Type 2: 4/10, 4/48, 3/29 (species/individuals)

These are all tolerant species. These are all compromised systems. The
perspective is from a human standpoint, and one that hopefully acts like a
grade card on the reach of our ag activity in this area. More stable,
robust fish community, less impact off the fields. We're trying to find a
statistic to dimension words like "stable" and "robust".

Application in the real world? Well, I got paid to look at fish! :) But
more seriously, if it's just a matter of accounting for lost in-channel
volume to make a difference at the point of source that allows a fully
fledged vertebrate community to develop, and reduce downstream non-point
source ag pollution coming from first and second order "stream" sources...
We've got something to present to agencies that has some statistical bite,
and paired with some education and interpretation to farmers than "you've
got better bug community in your ditch".

So it's not really a "condition"... It's more like "what is which/what" and
"what does that tell us".

Might be nothing, if I can't figure this out :) And it will probably be a
solution that only works in the Glacial Lake Maumee basin. At least,
that'll cap the potential universe I have to fight with.

Todd