NANFA-- oligotrophic lakes

Nicholas J. Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:28:15 -0400

Dan, I don't have and answer to your question but I was wondering what you
meant by "enough nutrients" in an oligotrophic lake. An oligotrophic lake
is clear and relatively nutrient free. I am not saying that plants can't
grow however. Are you asking which plants are first in the transformation
of a lake from oligotrophic to eutrophic? Good question, I would like the
answer also.

Original message

Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:14:36 EDT
From: NATURNUT_at_aol.com
Subject: NANFA-- Oligotrophic lake plants

Everyone,
I started wondering, as I often do. When a lake has enough
nutrients
to support vascular plant life(which would be an oligotrophic lake), what
family of plants are usually the first to take advantage of the nutrients?
I'm talking along the lines of a lake in a temperate area(ex. Michigan).
Are
there too many variables to tell what kind of plant will be the first to
appear? If there is a type of plant that usually appears first in a lake,
what would it be? Thanks, I would be interested to read the responses.
___Dan

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216-661-6500 ex 4485

"Fish worship... is it wrong??" (Ray Troll)