Re: NANFA-- Bigheads in the Big Sunflower

George Arndt (georgeacim_at_hotmail.com)
Wed, 04 Apr 2001 16:23:23 -0400

<x-flowed>
MARTIN,
did you get me one of these minners. hehe. go to the Big Sunflower River.
wow they grow those minners big in Mississippi.

minners you say. I thought you were sending me some winners for the
lottery.

well it is warming up faster now. the days are nice. my outdoor pond 16 ft
by 8 ft is showing water and 60% surface ice still. i was trying to remove
snow and ice from it today. cold on the hands. got the snow out and some
ice.

per my new pond. i looked over the big hole. it looked pretty good. the
60 mil EPDM from the roofing company 20 ft by 50 ft was only $400. and the
backhoe was only $75 last year. he was already here doing something else
that's way it was only $75. but it looked nice. the winter seemed to
smooth out the walls nicely. it is on a hill so making the top of the pond
level for the water is tricky. i have tried before and never seem to get it
correct.

but if you catch me one of those 75 pound common minners save it for me. i
will try to breed it. oops need a mated pair. thats 150 pounds. do you
think the post office can do it on time. msrtin do you have a plastic bag
big enough for these minners.

seriously guys I am thinking of putting my 2 nanfa red fin pickerel out into
the pond soon. they like to breed when cool. they are at 60 F right now
indoors. but outside will be a big temperature drop maybe to close to 32F.
any suggestions. someone said that pickerel do not like temperature
changes. any experience out there. i was thinking of putting them out the
first day the ice is gone. there is some debris on the pond floor, leaves
etc. not too much. but maybe just enough for them to spawn. the pond is
shallow right now. I removed most of the water before winter. did not want
it to split the walls of the pond. but the pond liner kept some water.
maybe 6 to 8 inches deep over a good area of 16 ft by 8 ft.

george arndt
harvard, mass