Re: NANFA-- scaly build-up on glass

Al G Eaton (sege7_2000_at_yahoo.com)
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 07:29:19 -0700 (PDT)

I fill the tanks up and add a cup or two of vinegar...
it takes a while for the scale to come off that way
but its a lot less dangerous than using something like
muriatic acid, which works a lot faster and I dont
worry about neutralizing vinegar. Muriatic acid is a
dilute form of Hydrochloric Acid.

There is also a product called lime off or lime away
which works too. When I have enough time I use the
vinegar method. When I use muriatic acid I do it
outdoors in a garbage can that I lock...I can get up
to a 20 long in this garbage can. When done I add
baking soda to the water to neutralize the remaining
muriatic acid. I use the same type of bath for glass
tops, submersible heaters, and internal
filters...works great for me.