RE: NANFA-- mouse in my outdoor tub

D. Martin Moore (archimed_at_netdoor.com)
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:03:10 -0500

On 20 Apr 2001, at 13:12, Ken Wintin wrote:

> Sajjad,
> There actually was an old-fashioned type of mouse trap that used a pail of
> water with dried corn floating in it, that sounds like what you
> inadvertently set up. A ramp was put up to the top of the pail, which mice
> would climb and see the corn, but not the water's surface. They would jump
> in thinking that they could easily jump back out. Oops! I can testify
> from my youth, that it works.

Diabolical! Reminds me of the turtle traps my grandfather used.
One trap was a board with fish hooks attached to it. A dead fish or
something was nailed to the board above the hooks, and when the
turtle tried to climb up to get the fish, his feet got hooked. Another
method was to submerge a barrel so that just a couple of inches of
the open end were above water. The interior was empty except for
a bait. The turtle would investigate and fall into the barrel, never to
enjoy freedom again.

Prost,

Martin
Jackson, MS