NANFA-- Re: Chinese gators & Dolphins

Jeffrey Fullerton (tcmajorr_at_westol.com)
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 00:21:26 -0400

> Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:28:19 EDT
> From: Woodbull43_at_aol.com
> Subject: Re: NANFA-- Bush and the ESA
>
> Sounds good to me Moon. We brought back the American Alligator from near
> extinction we can do the same for the Chinese.
>
> Paul Wager
> Willing to do anything to save a species

Intoducing Chinese gators and freshwater dolphins into our rivers might
not be a good idea- both for ecological reasons and for the welfare of
the animals themselves. They might not survive here because we've
altered our rivers alot too and people would likely kill them.

A better approach would be to relax some of the import restrictions on
these species so zoos and private collections could aquire and establish
breeding colonies so when conditions in their native lands become more
stable- there might be hope for reintroduction. There are many species
in developing nations that face similar perils and no matter how many
laws we pass - ESA - CITES etc there are going to be people that we
cannot influence who will for whatever reason do bad things.

So at least we can let someone else do some measure of good.

Jeff