Re: NANFA-- catch F. olivaceous vs. notatus

D. Martin Moore (archimed_at_netdoor.com)
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 07:31:05 -0500

On 30 Apr 2001, at 0:46, William Allen jr. wrote:

> Please, someone, tell me how to tell these two fish (Fundulus notatus and
> F. olivaceus) apart

Oh, that's easy (at least for SOME people, as Bruce would surely
agree). Olivaceous has little black spots above the midlateral
band. Range should give you a clue as well.

I saw a jar full of unverified Fundulus in the museum's collection
which was labeled "F. notatus", but at a single swift glance they
were very obviously olivaceous by the numerous, well defined black
spots. I pointed this out to Roy, who said "Oh, those were
collected by so-and-so. He was an idiot." Idiot or no, it truly isn't
hard to tell the difference, at least in preserved or acclimated
specimens.

Prost,

Martin
Jackson, MS