Re: NANFA-- Restoring Eden

Roselawn Museum (roselawn_at_mindspring.com)
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 15:00:20 -0500

Thanks for sharing that, Chris.

As a Christian, and thus a creationist, I often find it tricky to express
certain views without sounding "preachy" or sparking unintended reactions
from either the religious or scientific camps. However, since the format is
already set on this one I'd like to say that I agree with the gentleman you
quoted. While the preservation of species is hardly THE primary focus of
Christianity, it certainly falls within the general scope of accepted
doctrine. The scriptures that he quoted also appear to be in context
(IMHO), and there are others besides. I personally never needed to venture
far beyond the one that says that "all things are created for His (God's)
pleasure." I operate under the assumption that if He saw a reason (even His
pleasure) to create something, that's reason enough to preserve it until He
decides it's time for it to go.

Obviously, this position can be (and has been) countered with the response
that if it wasn't God's will for things to become extinct, they wouldn't.
To me, that's as absurd as some of the older evolutionary counters that
claimed that extinction occurred because things were selected for
extinction regardless of the means. I believe that cause and effect is a
concept that applies in Heaven as well as on earth. If man becomes the
cause, accountability for the effect is clearcut. I suppose that's why even
the scientific community should be able to embrace the idea of man's
stewardship of the earth, and why Christendom must recognize that creation
has certain safeguards that prevent, say, bacteria from exercising their
"rights" as the new dominant species. In the grand scheme of creation, we
cannot know for certain which species are expendable and which are not. So,
why play Russian roulette with life on the planet?

Thank you for allowing my $.02 worth.

Steven A. Ellis
Kennesaw, GA

At 07:05 PM 4/2/02 GMT, you wrote:
>I found this while perusing transcripts of the latest round of committee
>meetings seeking to "reform" the Endangered Species Act. It was
>especially interesting to see this after having read E.O. Wilson's latest
>book, "The Future of Life," in which he makes the case that organized
>religion must -- and will -- play a significant, if not leading, role in the
>protection of the earth's biodiversity.
>
>By the way, the organization described here as its own website:
>http://www.restoringeden.org
>
> -- Chris Scharpf
>

>Testimony of Peter Illyn
>Concerning the Endangered Species Act

>Committee on Resources
>Legislative Resources
>Wed March 20,  2 PM
>
> My name is Peter Illyn. I'm here today to testify about the biblical
principles
>of environmental stewardship and how these relate to the protection of
>endangered species. I have read the bills that are being discussed here
>today. I realize that I am not a scientist and cannot accurately testify
about
>the specific aspects concerning scientific analysis. I am, however, a
>preacher. I would like to discuss the theology of creation care and how
>this is becoming a growing movement within the church.

>I spent 10 years as a minister and a preacher in the Foursquare Church,
>a conservative evangelical denomination. I am now the Executive Director
>for a ministry called Restoring Eden. I live in SW Washington, and spent
>five years as a professional outfitter in the Gifford Pinchot National
Forest.
>I also do some networking with churches in the Klamath Basin. I am well
>aware of the recent events in both places.

>I am humbled to be here today as I recognize the difficulty of your task.
The