Re: NANFA-- Do your zoo a favor. Kill a cheetah!

Robert Carillio (darterman_at_hotmail.com)
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 23:34:17 -0500

<x-flowed>
To be quite honest, I thought that when I first read of this, that it HAS to
be some sort of April Fool's joke. I am just shaking my head right now
because I truly believe that there ARE people out there this stupid. Not
only those who would argue such a point, but also those who would actually
support it as well. Hmmmm.. birds would at least get some pretty heavy
support in their defense, and deservedly so. I wonder, however, if Native
fishes would stand a chance in an issue like this???... It's just really sad
to see that some people, no matter what would be at stake, would sell
themselves out just to make a buck. How despicable!!!

Rob C.

>From: <ichthos_at_charm.net>
>To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
>Subject: NANFA-- Do your zoo a favor. Kill a cheetah!
>Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 20:31:37 GMT
>
>Yesterday I forwarded to this list a Biblical rationale for preserving
>biodiversity. Earlier today Rob Carillio forwarded to me a news item that
>mentioned an unbelievably stupid rationale for just the opposite.
>
>According to the news items, the U.S. Navy was found guilty of violating
>the Migratory Bird Treaty Act by bombing and shelling a small island in the
>Pacific Ocean and killing protected birds. The Navy knew it was killing the
>birds, but incorrectly thought that federal agencies were exempt. (They’re
>not.)
>
>And now for the unbelievably stupid part.
>
>The Washington Legal Foundation, which supported the Navy in the suit,
>argued that environmentalists should support the Navy bombing because
>it makes bird species more rare, offering birdwatchers additional
>enjoyment when spotting live specimens!
>
>If this logic were extended to, say, whales, then indiscriminant whale
>hunting would be a good thing because it would make actually seeing a
>whale even more enjoyable!
>
>Do your zoo a favor. Kill a cheetah!
>
>Do America a favor. Kill a bald eagle!
>
>Are people in our government Think Tanks actually this stupid? Or do they
>think that *we're* that stupid to actually buy such a ludicrous concept?
>
>Chris Scharpf
>Baltimore
>/ Association"
>Association