RE: NANFA-- Re:population control

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 10:45:47 -0500

Check out the farmertodd website. Todd has some great accounts of
collecting trips that various members have done. He tells the story in a
great way that all can relate to. He has pictures and all. He even has
"extreme" collecting accounts-like this past winter when we seined up more
ice than fish. Your students would probably think we are nuts but maybe we
could "touch" at least one of them.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216.661.6500 ext 4485

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa_at_aquaria.net On Behalf
Of JHolmes
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 9:31 AM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Re:population control

I'm located in South Alabama, quasi urban area (read as little town that
thinks it's big). I'm trying to get the kids interested by bringing in
specimens that I collect, showing them photos, I make them do leaf/seed
collections that get them out, and I try to schedule times to help them with
these. During those helping trips I con some of them into creeks and ponds
to catch stuff for 'extra credit'. I can get some of them interested, but
getting them out there is the problem. Liability issues prevent most schools
from approving collecting trips. I have a terrarium of native treefrogs,
worm snake, earth snake, etc, a saltwater aquarium of native specimens, and
I'm going to try to set up a tank for small native fishes, like pygmy
sunfish, killies, etc. Funding and specimen availability are going to be the
drawbacks there. I keep buying and buying stuff for the classroom and it
really adds up. But it helps. Looking at the adoptatank program too, may be
able to get some good specimens. -any of you have any photos of your
collecting trip specimens, feel free to throw them this way.- I can get some
off the internet, but I like the kids to see real people doing it.
Any members in or around Alabama, I may have to start hitting yall up to
find some good specimens to collect or buy.
And as always- open to all suggestions and ideas to help motivate my kids.