Re: NANFA-- NANFA - OT: Native Herp Trade

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Sat, 05 Apr 2003 17:21:34 -0500

<x-flowed>
I'm not surprised, Jan. Many herps are probably even more sensitive to
overcollecting than fishes. One species I've been following of late is the
green salamander, Aneides aeneus, found from Alabama to Pennsylvania in
isolated outcrops of rock usually at higher altitudes. The species is about
to be reconsidered for federal protection based on recent population
surveys. Overcollecting appears to be a major factor in the decline of local
populations. For a concise account of the species and its threats, check out
the site of the Chatooga Conservancy at www.chatoogariver.org (which is an
admirable organiztion in general).

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: "Hoover, Jan J ERDC-EL-MS" <HOOVERJ_at_wes.army.mil>
>To: "'nanfa_at_aquaria.net'" <nanfa at aquaria.net>
>Subject: NANFA-- NANFA - OT: Native Herp Trade
>Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 20:38:22 -0600
>
>The latest issue of Herpetological Review contains an article entitled "A
>Survey of New York State Pet Stores to Investigate Trade in Native
>Herpetofauna" by Suzanne M. Hohn.
>
>Paper documents 45 native NY species for sale in pet shops, 15 of which are
>listed as endangered, threatened, or special concern. These included
>hellbender, marbled salamander, tiger salamander, wood turtle, and hognose
>snake.
>
>This may be of interest to the herpers on the list.
</x-flowed>