Re: NANFA-- Quantative Sampling?

Todd Crail (farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com)
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 23:12:37 -0400

Jay,

I'll pass those thoughts along. Thanks!

Nick,

Yeah, I agree. It's very pronounced here as well on the Ottawa/Tenmile
Creek and Swan Creek first dams. I used to think the DO2 was just too low
in either stream for anything large and predatory to make way through the
industrialized sections of either water body, but apparently it's happens.
One day I was out on the bridge in front of Owens Corning over Swan Creek
right at it's mouth into the Maumee having a corporate cancer break... There
had been a sharp heat wave come on the area (going from the 50's to the
upper 80's overnight) and my guess is... It took out the critical amounts of
O2 from the water that was allowing certain animals to be in Swan Creek. I
watched in dismay as 6 adult walleye bodies floated by in the 10 minutes I
was out there. And those were just the ones I could discern from the
suckers, catfish and drum. Ugh.

Rumor is "lost" steelhead make their way up as well in the fall. I've seen
them up the Maumee, I'm still waiting for pictures tho from either of the
two smaller streams. :)

Todd