Re: NANFA-- two local goose stories

Mark Otnes (markotnes_at_email.msn.com)
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 10:01:24 -0500

In my part of the country we have problems with increased populations of
both canada and snow geese. For the last few years there has been a spring
goose hunting season for the snow geese and there is also an early fall
season for the canada geese. This it true for both of the Dakotas and
Minnesota.

I agree that there have to be controls on the population of the geese,
especially the snow geese as they are over-grazing their nesting habitat on
the tundra. One way or another the snow goose population will come down,
its just a matter of who or what is going to do it.

I'm curious as to why the increased canada goose population is resulting in
increased poop pollution. Do they not digest their food enough or is the
problem that they let loose in and around the water? Has the biomass in
their ecosystem actually increased due to their presence?

It's kind of ironic that the giant subspecies of the canada goose was once
endangered and now at least in my area that's the subspecies that is causing
the problem. The bird watching community around here has a disdain for
canada geese that used to be held solely for starlings and house sparrows.
Funny how things change.

Mark Otnes
Fargo ND