RE: NANFA-- Which frozen food is most nutritous

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:05:58 -0400

Just a caution on the mysis shrimp. Because it is so high in lipids, I
would be careful about feeding it day in and day out. I suspect that it
would quickly contribute to fatty livers, which is a leading cause of fish
deaths in captivity. We are fortunate to have necropsies done on many of
the fish that die and it is a big problem in longterm captive fishes. The
stuff is excellent, but don't forget to go for variety also. As far as
cyclopeze, I found that it is too small for many fish. Planktivorous fishes
do very well on it, as well as tiny mouthed fishes. (I suspect that shad
would do very well on it) Others seem to get into a frenzy but not realize
that there is food right in front of them.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216.661.6500 ext 4485