Re: NANFA-- RE: Collecting report

BG Granier (shinerscoop_at_bellsouth.net)
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:43:33 -0500

Ask Jeremy's contacts to educate us here, would you Todd? Thanks!

BG
----- Original Message -----
From: "Todd Crail" <toddcrail_at_yahoo.com>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 1:11 PM
Subject: Re: NANFA-- RE: Collecting report

> Here's a question... How do you tell the difference from the fingernail
clams and the Asiatic clams (Corbicula sp)? Is there a difference in teeth?
I was looking at some the other day that looked different than what I think
of when I think Corbicula (smooth, two small teeth on either side of umbo),
but sorta the same. Then I saw what were definately Corbicula (large
specimens) way downstream where we took the kidos and they had much more
developed teeth.

> Of course the habitats were totally different. I was up in the wet ditches
of sand and clay where I thought I'd found fingernail clams and the
downstream section was fast water with rocks.