Re: NANFA-- about seining

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 22:04:24 EDT

The single most important thing when seining is to keep the bottom of the
net taut and tight to the bottom. This is of course an easy thing to say,
but this is the starting point. For seining in rocky riffles, sometimes the
best approach is to hold the net stationary and "kick" towards the net, to
chase fish into the net. This is best accomplished in a downstream
direction, of course, and assumes you have at least three people... Also, if
you're doing it that way, lift up rocks just upstream of the net and "kick"
towards the net.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL