Re: NANFA-- bryozoans

Norman Edelen (normane_at_edelendoors.com)
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:27:07 -0700

The first time I encountered a colony was on a collecting trip with Dan
Logan. He needed to supplement his collection of preserved fishes for a
teaching collection that his students would dissect and identify, etc. He
asked Joe Middleton and I to accompany him. Somewhere in the middle of the
Willamette Valley, in some small river, the name of which I have forgotten,
we managed to pull one of these up in the seine. I was flabbergasted,
having never seen the like. I was quite dismayed by the appearance and
texture of the thing, and refused to touch it. Dan was oohing and aahing
and holding it in his hands. When he tried to pass it to me, I recoiled in
fear. Dan laughed, and said, "Norman, what kind of scientist are you going
to make if you can't even touch this thing?" I recall thinking to myself, a
long-lived one without some crazed tumors from handling toxic waste mutants.

After spending a day in Grass Lake (mentioned in the last post), I now can
say that I have had those things touching every part of my body that
swimming trunks don't cover. At one point a fight broke out, with many
persons tossing those globs of tissue about like sloshing summer snow balls.
I got a face full. Still, I can admire them. I like the similarity to
brain coral too. All God's creatures and all of that, but living slime just
gives me the shakes.

I certainly don't want you to think that I am disparaging your attempt at
maintaining them in a tank. I admire the idea. Perhaps someday I would
like to do the same. They really are fascinating creatures. Layn Luedtke
became enamored with these creatures that day at grass lake. He is
researching them all the time, and plans on dedicating a tank to them in the
future. He has sent me pages of his notes regarding his research on them.
I would love to be able to tell him that one of our NANFA members has had
success in this endeavor.

Norm

A proud member of
The Greater Portland Aquarium Society
www.gpas.org
The North American Native Fishes Association: over
20 years of conservation efforts, public education, and
aquarium study of our native fishes. Check it out at
www.nanfa.org