RE: NANFA-- Darters and Sculpins

Nicholas J. Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:33:45 -0400

Jon,

The best way that I know of to learn to differentiate fish species is to
keep a few similiar species in an aquarium. By keeping them in an
aquarium, you can observe the subtle traits and behaviors which will help
you identify specimens in the field. The set up does not have to be
elaborate, and it would be best to only keep a couple of specimens at a
time. What I find works the best is to keep the ones that are most
similiar together, this way you can compare them side by side. After a
while, you will get to know differences in shape, fin positions, markings,
mouth shape, etc. These are all very important in field ID. Furthermore,
one great tip that I learned from Chris Scharpf is to get a copy of
Peterson's Field Guide to Freshwater fishes, and use a highlighter to mark
the species found in your area. This way you can quickly narrow down
potential species. By studying the live animals, you will quickly get a
handle on what to look for in the field.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216-661-6500 ex 4485

"Fish worship... is it wrong??" (Ray Troll)

On Monday, August 05, 2002 7:21 PM, Phobos1969_at_aol.com
[SMTP:Phobos1969_at_aol.com] wrote:
> Hello all,
> One more question for you guys from a "newbie". I was wondering what
is the best way for one or two people to identify and\or gather information
on darters and sculpins and other fish in their native habitat? I happen
to have their habitat in my backyard, so I have plenty of time to observe,
but I still need a way to discern what species is what and I need to know
how to go about gathering info on their reproductive habits. My main
objective is to find out as much as humanly possible about these Pygmy
Sculpins I have grown so fond of. Thanks in advance for any weblinks
and info you may have.
------