NANFA-- RE: nanfa V1 #1375 - Fish eggs vs. Caviar

Bob Sinclair (rjs_at_silcom.com)
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 17:57:07 -0700

Sorry, Guys and Gals, but fine Russian or Iranian caviar resembled
carp roe and panfish eggs about as much as a bad batch of moonshine
resembled 21 year old The MacAllen single malt scotch.

And if anyone has no idea what's the big attraction to eating caviar,
I guess my best suggestion would be to spend the $40+ it costs to try
just an ounce of the stuff. It's not for nothing that when some filthy
rich traveler (or lucky corporate exec) crosses the Atlantic on the
Concorde SST among the first things served is a serving of fine
caviar with all the fixings (chopped hard boiled egg, chopped onion,
capers, and or course ice cold Russian vodka). Take my word for
it, fine caviar is fine fare indeed.

And no, I'm not ignoring the threat to the various sturgeon species,
just trying to shed a bit of light on what's behind the controversy.

Caviar is Big Business, globally.

Bob Sinclair
Santa Barbara CA

* * * * *