Re: NANFA-- algae filter

Wally Billingham (wally_at_wallybillingham.com)
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 21:46:21 -0400

Sure Bob,
A refugium is like another tank attached to your main tank, by way of an
overflow and then a return pump. It can be set-up sump style or behind or
beside the main tank. In the reef side of the hobby they fill them with
"Macro Algae" basically seaweed and let the seaweed grow and grow until it
fills up the tank and then they remove some of the seaweed. The idea is that
the seaweed in the refugium will remove nitrates from the water. Many people
also use things like liverock and live sand in the refugium to increase
biological filtration even more.

You can set up the same thing in a freshwater tank using quick growing
plants like hornwort, or anacharis/elodea. Of course in fresh water tanks
you could also grow the plants in your main tank but if you have big fish
that can be hard on plants like my bass or African Cichlids this can give
you an edge.

A real world example is my 220 system I am going to be putting together next
year. The tank is made by Perfecto and is 7 feet by 24inches by 30 inches.
This tank is going to house 1 smallmouth and 1 largemouth bass that I am
hoping will each grow to around 24" or so (right now they are each 2" long),
several yellow bullheads, and perhaps some big bluegill. These are all big
fish that produce a lot of waste. I am going to build my own stand for this
tank to save a major bucks and to hold my refugium. I am going to make it
out of two sheets of 3/4" Exterior OSB and a bunch of 12" concrete blocks.
Each sheet of OSB will be cut to 7'x38". This will allow the main tank to
sit in front and the 55 gallon refugium to sit behind it. One sheet will be
on the floor to protect it. On top of that will go 3 rows of 12" concrete
blocks stacked two high and then on top of them will go the other sheet. My
wife is going to make a nice looking curtain to go around the stand. The
filtration in the main tank will be provided by 2 Emperor 400 powerfilters.
I will not drill a tank this size so I am going to use a hang-on the back
tidepool overflow made by Marineland. This overflow will drain into the 55
gallon tank sitting right behind the main tank. A 55 will work great since
its about a foot shorter than the 220. The 55 is going to have a reverse
flow undergravel filter and be filled up with quick growing floating plants.
I will probably use hornwort but I am thinking about using hydrilla, I am
not sure of the legality of using hydrilla however so thats why I am not
sure. You want to use very fast growing plants here to soak up all the waste
in the water which is why hydrilla would be a super choice. To return the
water back to the main tank I am going to use a Magnum 350 pro filter. This
filter comes with a set of bio-wheels and pumps water over them by way of a
spraybar. You could also just use a small waterpump here but I want the
extra filtration and the bio-wheels. By using a canister filter and a
spraybay above the water line you also do not have to worry about a back
siphon if the power goes out.

The idea here is to have SUPER bio-filtration provided in this case by 6
bio-wheels, and the reverse UGF in the 55. These will quickly turn all the
waste into nitrates which the plants will soak up like a sponge. When I
harvest the plants I am removing the nitrates, these plants will then go
into my compost heap and the nitrates will help my garden grow. Also please
note I am recommending the use of a lot of Marineland products here. I am in
no way affiliated with them I just am very happy with them,

HTH
Wally