Re: NANFA-- staying afloat

Rose Lawn Museum (roselawn_at_mindspring.com)
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:48:46 -0400

Hi Rich

A wetsuit will make you a bit more bouyant, but it will not serve as a
floation device. You'd be better off wearing a flotation jacket over it
such as kayakers use. As for catching fishes underwater, aquarium nets or
small trout dipnets (my personal favorite) work well if you're quick. I
admire your resolve not to let your medical battle keep you from what you
enjoy, but be careful collecting alone...especially in those chilly MA waters!

Steven A. Ellis
Kennesaw, GA

At 06:33 AM 8/29/02 -0700, you wrote:
>I have had a difficult time trying to collect on my own because I am
somewhat handicapped. I have rather severe neuropathy (numb feet and
hands) from long term cancer medications that have been used to combat my
Multiple Myeloma. The last time I tried to go out, I ended up falling and
getting a huge black eye. Low platelets probably made it worst than it
should have been, but I ended up arguing with my wife over what I can and
can not do because of it.
>Now my wife is upset because I just received a new mask and snorkel in the
mail. The last time I tried snorkeling, I was rather un prepared. I
couldn't get out of the water without help because of the soft sand and
rocks etc. I have figured out that my dip net makes a good crutch, so that
is part of the solution. My wife, Deirdre, has agreed to help me if I ware
a floatation device. So this is my question: Does a wet or dry suit work
as a floatation device. In other words, will I float because I am waring a
wet suit?
>Walking in the shallow water is out of the question at this point. If I
am already down and in the water, and can float, I can do this. The next
question is: How do I capture fish from this prone position? Maybe a
spear gun with a net on the end???