Re: NANFA-- lymphocytosis info/photos

Irate Mormon (archimed_at_netdoor.com)
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:21:48 -0500

Here is some info I gleaned from _Fish Medicine_, Michael Stoskopf (ed.).

The nodules develop over a period of 1 week to 1 year, and eventually heal themselves. Lymphocystis is chronic but rarely fatal.
Disease transmission can happen by ingesting infected cells, cohabitation with infected animals, or exposure to water containing the
virus. Evidently it is easy to transmit to other animals in the same genus, but otherwise quite difficult, indicating that the various
virus strains are species specific. The virus can persist for at least 15 years. It can be inactivated by exposure to ether or
chloroform, or temperature of 60C, or pH 3.0

George Post (in _Textbook of Fish Health_) reports that the growths are not malignant and seldom fatal. The virus appears to enter
areas of the skin which are injured. He also says that "White to gray-white or pinkish warty lesions on the fins and skin of various
parts of the body, and especially those parts most subject to minor injuries, are a presumptive diagnosis for lymphocystis disease."

Lymphocystis is mentioned in every disease book I own, so it's apparently quite common.

On 4 Aug 2003 at 17:34, geoff wrote:

> This is just a direct request for photos of and specific info
> regarding lymphocytosis.
>
> I would love a couple of good photos if available, as well as general
> info about the virus, like incubation period, and how long it can
> remain in the tank without a host.
>

> I'm trying to plan my management strategy so I can do my best to
> eradicate the disease from my fish room.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Geoff Kimber
> Lexington,KY
> -------- /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not
> necessarily / reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American
> Native Fishes / Association" / This is the discussion list of the
> North American Native Fishes Association / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To
> subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word / subscribe,
> unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email to /
> nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to /
> nanfa-digest-request_at_aquaria.net instead. / For more information about
> NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org

Prost,

Martin
Jackson, MS

--
At first I thought, if I were Superman, a perfect secret identity would be "Clark
Kent, Dentist," because you could save money on tooth X-rays. But then I