RE: NANFA-- Building cheap fish containers

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:16:06 -0400

Why not wood? I think that you can make the supports for the liner
relatively cheaply. If you need to make the tanks taller, you can use luan
for the sides. I don't think it would cost that much. You could make a
tank that is 2x2x4 with four 2x4's (4 posts 2ft long, two supports
lengthwise on each side at 4ft each, and two supports on each end 2 ft
each). Three quarter of a sheet of luan to line the sides, a full sheet if
you use a bottom. To save money, you could use old carpeting instead of
luan to keep the liner from bowing. (you can nail the carpeting to the wood
to keep it in place.

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo