Re: NANFA-- native fish on PBS?

Robert Carillio (darterman_at_hotmail.com)
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 22:19:03 -0500

<x-flowed>
Moon, I would suggest that you first call the station, ask for the person in
charge of making the decisions as to what type of material and programming
gets the nod, introduce yourself as a NANFA member, and just give a little
info of what the group is about, so that it shows that there are actually
other people out here who share in the passion for these animals.

Refer them to the web site too. Offer to send them a copy of that video for
review. Let them know that this is about fish and aquatic life perhaps in
that stream that they pass by on their way to work everyday. Emphasize that
what makes this so special, is that it is a beautiful fauna, that is so
close to us, plays a role in our everyday lives, and is vastly becoming more
and more threatened each year.

Let them know that while many like networks are continuing to have the same
rainforest type material for programming, we are completely ignoring our
very own natural heritage.... unique to our continent!... Just get excited
about what you love, and send them a copy... Then follow up... Make sure
they look at it, by calling and "reminding" them so to speak.

Tell them you need the video returned so that another station can air it as
well, if they "throw it in the back file" so to speak. Act as though this
is important, and others want to see it too! You may come across an open ear
and mind... the rest is luck! You would be suprised, no one has approached
my local station with this type of material, and if we don't who will...

This is the least we could do for these fish, in getting the spotlight
focussed on them for a while... even if for only an hour!!! I would
encourage more NANFA people to give their local public tv a call and
advocate this type of programming. The video is already made! It shouldn't
just sit around at Virginia Tech collecting dust, and only be seen by the
choir! Rob C.